Wednesday, March 12, 2008

By the river.


By the river., originally uploaded by Johnny Simon.

Another one from the river today. This was my first spot news assignment in awhile. For the last few months, when I'm called to a breaking news event its usually a car accident or fire in the middle of the night. This time I spent two hours in the middle of the day watching the entire story unfold. For an hour...nothing. Not a word from the EMS, police, or firefighters. It was a good deal of waiting from something to happen. The woman in this shot kind of just showed up. No real explanation. There were some others like her as well. One guy even owns a police scanner and just goes when he hears something interesting. Like some weird blood lust. Do they just want to see a dead body? I was judging then in my head a lot but then I realized I was kind of doing the exact same thing. It's good to keep things in perspective and think about how to separate yourself from the gawking masses.

No comments: